September 4, 2008

Successful Girl Writing Team

Congrats to Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith on getting their new movie The House Bunny made. But really, The House Bunny? These are the women who gave us Legally Blonde, 10 Things I Hate About You and Ella Enchanted and now we get The House Bunny? I haven't seen it, but a story about an aging playboy bunny who gets kicked out of the mansion because she's oh my god, aging, really doesn't interest me.

The good news is that they are quite busy, and their upcoming films look to be better than their current one -- The Ugly Truth starring Katherine Heigl, and Smith is producing the new Drew Barrymore directed roller derby film Whip It.

Even though I don't have a bit of interest in The House Bunny I'm interested in their future projects. Here's quote from a recent NY Times profile on the writing team:

Their mission, “to make movies we want to see,” as Ms. Smith put it, resonates with their current star. “I don’t always want to be the straight girl to the zany guy,” Ms. Faris said. “It’s unfortunate that studios shy away from female-centered movies because there’s a huge audience for them. And what Kirsten and Karen are doing is part of our solution, I guess.”
Ms. Faris laughed. “I’d love to continue this, be a part of what they’re doing. The boys are doing it. Why not us?”
I agree, why not us?

Women (Real and Fictional) Defying Expectations (NY Times)