October 7, 2008

Elle Magazine Honors Women in Hollywood

After the demise of Premiere, Elle took over the the annual Women in Hollywood issue and event, and while it was always celebrity driven it seems that any substance behind the event has been glossed away. I remember when I used to devour the Premiere that came because it was real substantive looks at a variety of women working in the business, not just the biggest celebrities. I mean do we really need another reason for these women to walk the red carpet and talk about their kids (which is all anyone seems to care about?)

Here are the honorees: Jane Fonda, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, Sigourney Weaver, Salma Hayek, Anne Hathaway, Isla Fisher, and 'Twilight' director Catherine Hardwicke.

Isla Fisher- you have got to be kidding. I seriously don't get it. Is it in advance of Confessions of a Shopaholic?

Here are some quotes (or as close to quotes as I could get) from the red carpet worthy of note:

Sigourney Weaver: It's my third time at this event and I notice the progress that's been made, and the progress we have to make.
Jane Fonda: Women are very underrepresented in Hollywood
Eva Mendes- People like Jane Fonda and Sigourney Weaver are not just amazing and successful actresses, they are women who speak their minds and are respected for their ideas and guts.
Ha. I wonder the last time someone in the business told Jane Fonda their respected her idea and guts. I guess I'm just jaded.

Women in Hollywood (Elle)